Re: Control file corruption in 7.2.3

From: <deangup_at_admin.ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: 1996/06/10

> steffi_at_dgs.dgsys.com (Robert Nicholson) writes:
> Hello, has anybody ever seen control file corruption like this in Oracle
> Release 7.2.3?
>
> SQLDBA> Connected.
> SQLDBA> ORACLE instance started.
> ORA-00205: error in identifying control file '/u08/oradata/CUSC/CUSCctl1.dbf'
> ORA-07366: sfifi: invalid file, file does not have valid header block.
> Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.
> SQLDBA>
> SQL*DBA complete.

I know this sounds like wishful thinking, but when I get "Error in identifying control file" I find that there is something wrong with my init.ora file. Perhaps you used an old one, or one from the wrong database?

Since it's complaining about a header block, your init.ora evidently points at a control file of some sort. Other possibilities that come to mind are that it is a relic from a different release of Oracle, or got clobbered by being accidentally edited, or is some unrelated file that has been misnamed.

I'm not saying you're not in trouble, but don't panic. Good luck!

  • Paul de Anguera, City of Seattle / HRIS Project