Re: Date-format

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/08

On 7 Jun 1996 15:49:43 GMT, yves <an543896_at_anon.penet.fi> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>A newcomer with, I hope,a very simple question.
>

>I 'am using Oracle RDBMS 7 and forms 4.5.
>Dateformats on forms are as followes : 01-MAY-1996
>Would like to alter this into 1-6-1996 or 01-06-1996.
>Is this possible and how ?
>(is there a parametersetting in oracle.ini perhaps ?)

You can do this in a number of ways.

One way would be to set the date format mask in forms4.5 on the individual items. This would have no impact on the database.

Another way would be to issue:

forms_ddl( 'alter session set nls_date_format=''dd-mm-yyyy''' )

In a when-new-form trigger. This would change the default date mask for your session only. For example:

SQL> alter session set nls_date_format='dd-mm-yyyy';

Session altered.

SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

08-06-1996

SQL> A third way would be to use the nls_date_format init.ora parameter. This would affect the whole database instance. All dates would be displayed using this new format.

I would suggest you consider the above to be listed in order of preference. The first option is the 'path of least resistance'. I would tend to avoid the third option. Not many people will change their date format for your application (if you are planning on hosting your application on other databases in the future) since it affects everything in the database.

>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Jan Van den Bosch

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Jun 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message