Re: Is this the way Oracle always does business?

From: Alan Kong <kkkong_at_ee.cuhk.hk>
Date: 1996/06/08

I had bad experience when dealing with Oracle Hong Kong Office as well. I was asked by my supervisor to choose a database package for the students to use in their projects. I enquired around and was suggested to get Oracle. Since we have not had Oracle in our dept. before, so we decide to get the Oracle workgroup for NT and upgrade to Solaris version later if neccessary.

I was asked to call Mr. Chin in their Hong Kong sales office. When I called him and enquired about their products, I was under the impression that he was not quite interest in dealing with us at all.

Having considered the recommendations from other people and their quotation, the aprroval to purchase Oracle was approved by our Chairman. I left a message on that Oracle perosn's answering machine and I never got my call returned. I got hold of him finally. He was surprised to know that the purchase order was placed so soon. This really made you wonder whether this is the way Oracle treats their customers.

I heard from a colleague from another department that they went to their office for a demo by this same person and learned the demo was shown by a receptionist.

Oracle may like dealing with big business only. However, if our students do not know Oracle, how are they going to recommend and aprroved the purchase order when they become the senior person in big companies one day?

--
Regards

Alan

Alan, Kwok-Kee KONG | Email: kkkong_at_ee.cuhk.hk Department of Electronic Engineering | alan_at_ee.cuhk.hk The Chinese University of Hong Kong | Tel: +852 2609-8286 (voice) Shatin, N.T. | +852 2603-5558 (fax) Hong Kong
Disclamer: The opinions expressed are myself only and I don't represent my employer.