Re: form 4 communications

From: Dave Simson <dsimson_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/07

Dave Murphy wrote:

> Can forms 4 communicate with other software? To clarify, I need to link
> forms 4 to 3270 emulator. AFAIKS it doesn't, so I need to communicate
> with a middle layer. This could be a 4 gl I know of that dos the
> necessary comms, or to something else. Question is, can forms
> communicate with other software (In know it can call 'c' code, so that
> would also be a route).
>
> Oh, the client is a Windows NT machine.
>
> Reason for the strange connection is that a client is migrating from old
> MVS systems to Oracle database, but it is being done as a slow migration,
> rather than a rapid revolution, so they need to access Oracle and MVS
> databases at the same time. The long term interest is Oracle only.
>
> TIA....Dave Murphy.

I assume you'll be using Forms 4.5, not 4...

4.5 has a PL/SQL package called ORA_FFI which lets you call out to C. You can use this in concert with a package like Attachmate's extra! to connect to 3270. In Forms 5.0, we'll fully support OCX's from PL/SQL and you wont' need to write any C - you can simply use the OCX or ActiveX version of the Attachmate connectivity suite to control the connection.

Dave Received on Fri Jun 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message