Re: Please Explain Explain Plan!

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/06/07

On 7 Jun 1996, Richard Clapp Jr wrote:
> Question: What are you trying to accomplish? The only real use
> for EXPLAIN PLAN is for DBAs tuning systems.... If you give us
> more of an idea, we might be able to help you more.

Not true. Developers should use EXPLAIN PLAN to be sure they are using the indexes, driving table, etc that makes sense for the query. This will take a load off of your DBA. Go to her/him only when you need something s/he hasn't already provided. If half of the developers here would use EXPLAIN PLAN, then I could do a lot of other things they want done. As it is, most of my time is spent trying to teach them what hints are. They haven't taken the hint either!

--Steve

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Fri Jun 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message