Re: Database Modelers

From: Aaron Rusty Lloyd <rusty_at_shadowstar.jeeves.net>
Date: 1996/06/06

Hey Paul!

I was using a demo version of S-designor professional 4.5.

What I found (exactly) was this:

  1. S-Designor's interface was just nicer looking than ERWin (yeah, nitpicky, but important if you're sitting in front of it all day.)
  2. Modifying column names and types were a breeze in S-Designor. I had to *read* (not skim, but read) the book to discover how to do it in Logic Works.
  3. I liked the fact that S-D does some checking (I know it's not perfect, but for a new DBA like me, it was great!) to insure that your model is somewhat correct.
  4. The interface for S-D was just a lot more intuitive (at least, for my way of thinking). One of the tests I did was to take a demo DB I had sketched out on paper, and see how long it would take me to turn it into an ER Model, A Schema Diagram, and then how it generated code and triggers. With S-D, I had the thing up in about an hour. With ERWin, it took me the better part of a day.

I did see 2000 (Note: it took me a while to figure out what Des2K was! :)) during a personal Oracle demo, and was very impressed. So, I'm looking forward to using it very soon.

Thanks!

Rusty

Paul Banas wrote:

> Aaron (Rusty) Lloyd wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > We've just gotten an Oracle system in house, and we are getting Designer
> > 2000 along with the other software. Does anyone know how it stacks up with
> > S-Designor and ERWin as a modeling tool?
> >
> > When I used ERWin and S-Designor, I found that although ERWin was a little
> > more powerful, S-Designor was, by far, the easiest to use.
> >
> > If anyone can give me some info that would be great.
> >

> Rusty,
>
> Were you using S-Designor Enterprise version? I've worked with
> S-Designor, ERWin and Des2K. Des2K's integration with Oracle and Oracle
> Forms cannot be beat! Very smooth. Yeah, S-Designor may have a little
> slicker interface but Des2K is a better tool in an Oracle environment.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Paul Banas
> Corporate Computing Services - Oracle & Network Solutions
> Michigan, USA
> (517) 725-9794 phone
> (517) 725-6383 fax
> banasp_at_tir.com

* Aaron (Rusty) Lloyd                          Senior Database Programmer *
* AetherWorks Corporation 10,000 W.76 St, Eden Prairie, MN (612) 943-0531 *
* rusty_at_jeeves.net    Chivalry, Lego, DCD, Joan Chen... Vices to live by. *
Explore Rusty's web presence! --------> http://www.publiccom.com/web/rusty/
"I merely chewed in self-defense! But I never swallowed."
                                                -Draco, Last of the Dragons