Re: Redo logs backup??

From: Shankar Ramanathan <srnathan_at_amoco.com>
Date: 1996/06/06

We ran into a similar situation.
we had a cold backup except the redologs. We lost on drive which had data files. we did not loos the redo logs, also we had a backup of the redo logs just before the backup .

When we restored the all the datafiles and the controlfile. Oracle found out it needed media recovery, but when you say 'recover database' then it says 'control file older than data file'.

Now we know redo log is the culprit, if we can some shut up the redo log we should be fine (since it is cold backup , with the database in noarchivelog mode) with that backup.

Here is what i did.

  1. startup mount.
  2. alter database backup controlfile to trace;
  3. edit the trace file (this creates a new control file).
  4. mv the existing control file.
  5. _at_trace_file
  6. shutdown normal
  7. Startup, we were back in business. This may look dangerous but what the heck, we lost it any way we are just trying to recover. Take a backup of the existing stuff before attempting this so that you wont blame me for suggesting this.

Ref bulletin board: 1012929.6

If you have ARCHIVELOG on then probably you can to a point in time recovery..