Re: [Q] How many client processes Oracle can support?

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_stat239.cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/06/06

In article <4p2lr2$hah_at_charnel.ecst.csuchico.edu>,

        kelfink_at_ecst.csuchico.edu (Kevin Fries) writes:

>The number of connections you can support will be mainly linked to
>the amount of RAM you have on the server, and how busy the clients
>are.
>
>You should DEFINITELY look into the MTS server configuration. It's
>simple to configure, as long as you already have SQL*Net V2 running.
>Basically, it lets multiple client processes use the same threaded server
>process. It saves enormously on resources, by saving on the number of
>processes owned by Oracle, and on the amount of RAM allocated each.
>
>Look in your administrator's guide. The only work to be done is to
>set three or four parameters in your INIT.ORA.

I find that there is also a huge amount of guesswork, especially when users do a broad range of work categories ... long running batch jobs, or huge output tasks really require dedicated processes. OTOH, small tasks, or jobs that do a lot of internal server work, with only minimal activity on the network can be good candidates for MTS.

The worst type of client is where both types of jobs are regularly submitted. Some PC software packages don't lend themselves to easy changing of the SID (especially software where the config files are shared on the client network). I've found that for this type of user, dedicated servers are the only way to avoid other users getting dumped when the MTS server hangs from the workload.

Bill Received on Thu Jun 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message