Re: MTS: will it reduce mem consumption

From: Steve Long <answers_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/06

In <31B61BE0.1E65_at_macromedia.com> Rich Headrick <rheadric_at_macromedia.com> writes:

>As the subject suggests, will using MTS dispatcher reduce real memory
>consumption?

Yes, using MTS will reduce real memory consumption. In single threaded mode, each connection gets its own server process. Each process, then, requires memory, ergo, more memory is consumed with each connection. MTS shares server processes for a given number of connections. You control the degree of multithreading with the INIT.ORA parameters.

>My current usage is aprox 26MB per connection, could
>this be a little to high?

There is not sufficient information in your message to tell you if 26MB per connection is too high for your environment. I can tell you it is well beyond the "typical" configuration. Certain INIT.ORA parameters are on a per connection basis, others are on a per instance basis. A careful review of your init.ora parameters should readily indicate where all the memory is allocated to each user session. If you are running parallel query, pay particular attention to parallel query parameters as one query spawns multiple processes, each of which are allocated per session quotas.

>All responses welcome.
>
>Rich

Hope this helps.

Steve
804-262-6332 Received on Thu Jun 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message