Re: Using oracle with RAID??

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_ni.net>
Date: 1996/06/06

Jim St.Cyr wrote:

> How then do you get the required disk space? We are getting ready to bring
> up a moderately sized (10G) 7.2 instance up on a RAID-5. This seemed the
> easiest way to get the size 'disk' that we needed.

That should be 'disks' and not 'disk'.

Raid 5 works just fine when applicable. Raid 0+1 is used a lot fault tollerence and additional performance gain from reading the mirrors in road-robbin fashion. I used RAID5 in other parts of the operating system or on datafiles that are not high in OLTP volume.

The thing to note is that not just one RAID strategy is the solution for all applications or systems. It is a combination of RAID levels you are looking to use.

--
Neil Greene				"Pinky, you make me worry.  You are too
Sr. Oracle DBA / Unix Administrator		close to being a poster child for