Re: Transformation of object modells to relational structures

From: Matt K. Maurer <zmkm0g_at_amoco.com>
Date: 1996/06/05

keystrk_at_feist.com (Jack L. Swayze Sr.) wrote:
>answers_at_ix.netcom.com(Steve Long) wrote:
>
>>Mario,

>>An object model is just an ERD with functions added to it.
>>Use stored procedures.
>
>Anyone who says the above doesn't understand the diversity of OO.
>Smalltalk-like (or Lisp-like) OO is as different from ER-modeling as
>Aristotle was from Plato (and my selection of Greek philosophers has a
>very relevant meaning here).
>
>Your statement is true for shellaor-mellor OO, but that style of OO
>has less of a success ratio of being implemented.

>'Keystroke'
>KeystrkTX_at_AOL.COM

I partially agree with Steve about an Object Model being an ERD with functions/processes included. HOWEVER, your database will determine how to implement that OO model. If you are using Oracle, for example, then implementing an OO model really translates to implementing the tables, relationships, AND stored procedures that represent the function/process as identified in the OO model.

I have to admit that I am still naive to the whole OO thing. But I think that we can agree that there are different TYPES of OO models and these types exist because of the different target databases used to support the such models.

Any opinions? Received on Wed Jun 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message