Re: report with sqlplus

From: Steve Dodsworth] <Steven_Dodsworth_at_qsp.co.uk>
Date: 1996/06/04

In <4ovuou$92j_at_anakena.dcc.uchile.cl>, gpalma_at_dcc.uchile.cl (G. Cristian Palma A.) writes:
>Hi friends ...
>
>Well, my problem ...
>
>I wanna know if is possible to "protect" records in a report made with
>sqlplus. The idea is the following: I have the next query (is an example :)):
>
>set lin 80;
>set pagesize 5;
>column a format a80;
>column b format a80;
>select a, b
>from table;
>
>i.e., each record will return 2 lines ...
>
>My wish is that the final record "jump" completely to the next page, this
>is, that the output take the form:
>
>A11
>B11
>A12
>B12
>

>A21
>B21
>A22
>B22
>
>etc.
>
>and not:
>
>A11
>B11
>A12
>B12
>A21
>

>B21
>A22
>B22
>A23
>B23
>
>etc.
>
>Well, thanks for any help
>
>"Saludos desde Chile"
>
>Cristian
>
>--
>
>Pd: I tried with the sentence break on skip <xxx> but I haven't luck :) ...

Cristian,

If you want to skip x lines when the 1st+2nd 'bits' of column 'a' changes, e.g.

a11
b11
a12
b12
<skip x lines>
a23
b23
<skip x lines>
a33.......

then you could try adding a few bits to your query i.e.

col tmp noprint

select substr(a,1,2) tmp, a, b
from table
/

break on tmp skip x

hope this helps

Bye,
Steve

opinions expressed are mine and do not
necessarily represent those of my employer Received on Tue Jun 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message