Re: UNIX commands from within an Oracle trigger ?

From: Peter Gross <pag_at_probita.com>
Date: 1996/06/04

alex_at_doobrie.demon.co.uk (Alex Vida) wrote:

>I've recently come across this dilemma within Oracle 7.0 in that I
>have a trigger that I use to enforce certain database-rules pertinent
>to a system that I am working on. However I also require it to perform
>a simple (!) UNIX move command and I have never come across any method
>of doing this.

> I don't really have to many Oracle expert minds to ask but I'm pretty
>sure that someone (out there) must have come upon a similar problem
>and that some form of a solution to how to execute this UNIX command
>from inside of the trigger must exist ? ? ?

Check out the DBMS_PIPE package. We use it to do just what you want. Be aware, however, that we have found a serious bug in this package (see my later article) under v7.1.4.1.10 and HPUX 10.01. The bug was not present in v7.1.4.1.0 (and presumably earlier versions).

peter gross
pag_at_probita.com
+1.303.546.6307 x3329 Received on Tue Jun 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message