Re: 1 TB _a day_ at CERN (was: 21 terabytes at NYNEX)

From: Juergen Schlegelmilch <schlegel_at_informatik.uni-rostock.de>
Date: 1996/06/04

On Sun, 26 May 1996 11:16:50 +0100, Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_sarc.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think the tape robots would be the standard way to put such large
> quantities of data on-line, as you rightly suggest. I believe CERN are
> looking into various mass-storage technologies to interface with an OODB
> for the longer-term. I have no idea about disk requirements, though. Even
> if anyone wanted to put such large quatities on disks, it would probably
> cost such an enormous amount of money to do so that I guess practically
> nobody (except maybe the US military) could afford it. Also, I don't see
> how disk technology is really going to improve that much over the time
> that they want to conduct these tests.

Just yesterday I heard in an Objectivity RoadShow a talk from Jamie Shier from CERN about this project (its name is rd45; sorry, there is a WWW page with exact info but I did not write down its URL). They plan to use clusters of machines running Objectivity, and believe that tapes are obsolete by that time, i.e. will only use hard discs. Regarding the money: The price for discs has dropped significantly over the last few months, and competition will further put pressure on it; and compared to the cost for their physics equipment are hard discs inexpensive, I believe.

Regards,
  Juergen

 Dipl.-Inf. Juergen Schlegelmilch                 University of Rostock
 email: schlegel_at_Informatik.Uni-Rostock.de        Computer Science Department
 http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~schlegel   Database Research Group
 Tel: ++49 381 498 3402                           18051 Rostock
 Fax: ++49 381 498 3404                           Germany