Re: I am looking for a stand-alone Aplication Development Tool?

From: Thomas Pon <pon_at_zorro>
Date: 1996/06/03

Mirwais Qader (mqader_at_facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:
: I am in the process of evaluating some tools that may

: be used for cross-platform application development.

: I need something that is FAST, EASY to TEACH and LEARN
: in a reasonably (1-2 months) quick amount of time, and be
: able to create stand-alone database applications for
: Windows and possibly Macs.

: The application would be used to teach students at the
: university level in client-server application development.
: It will also be used for consulting work.

: I am currently considering the following tools:

: 1) PowerBuilder

: Problems: does not create compiled code.
: may be too complex to learn in
: a semester's time.

: 2) Delphi

: Problem: can't predict Borland's survival

: 3) Visual Basic

: 4) Plain old C++

: Problem: probably not a good way to teach
: students about client-server
: programming.

: I am leaning towards Delphi right now.

: Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated!
: Mir.

You left out Unify Vision from your list. I know they don't get a lot of press coverage but I think they have the best 4GL out there (and I've used Informix 4GL and Oracle Forms4.5). Received on Mon Jun 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message