Re: ? Oracle vs SQL/server

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/05/31

In article <01bb4e81.ffed2560$518142ce_at_yan> "leifan" <leifan_at_hal-pc.org> writes:
>Hi, Mike,
>
>Frankly, I prefer MS-SQL Server since it is more tightly integrated with
>NT server and a lot more easier to setup. However, that is exactly the
>problem with SQL server, because it is running on NT only.

Since MS uses page level locking, there are situations where you may have to expand the rows to fit one per page to avoid contentions. This may be quite frustrating in a warehousing environment.

Example:

You have a bunch of customers, including Arnold John Smith and Arnolde John Smith. Some data entry clerks goof and credit both their payments to one. The next batch of statements go out, both the Smiths get home at 5:30 PM, call up your all-night hotline and speak to different operators. The first operator is telling Mr. Smith about calling his bank to see if a check has cleared, because there is no record of payment, while the second is saying "Duh, I'm sorry but our computer appears to be down."

Example 2:

Two analysts run their reports on the same data set, then come to you and ask why they take so long. They don't care to hear about pagelevel  locking.

>> Mike Maxfield <Mike_Maxfield_at_edtel.ab.ca> wrote in article
 <4nst9f$1u3_at_tigger.planet.eon.net>...

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>