Re: checkpoint not complete

From: <vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl>
Date: 1996/05/31

In article <31add637.5284444_at_news2.ios.com>, chuckh_at_dvol.com (Chuck Hamilton) writes:
>What happens when the database tries to do a log switch and encounters
>a "Checkpoint no complete" error. Does it wait for the checkpoint to
>complete before switching to the next log? If so does this mean that
>all sessions that're changing the database freeze until the checkpoint
>completes?
>
>I get this error frequently on a data warehouse when doing it's
>monthly update. I'm using 4 online redo log groups (2 files per group)
>each 1m in length, and noarchivelog mode. Would adding another log or
>changing the size of the logs help?

What happens is that the checkpoint interval has a value that does not match exactly with the size of the redo log file. Therefore the redo logg "session" arrives at the end of the file while the interval is not filled completety. What happens is that a message is put in the ALERT.LOG-file and a checkpoint is forced to jump to the next redo log file. In fact it is just an informational message - nothing to worry about.

| Peter J.R. Vermaat | Dutch Department of Agriculture | Wageningen |

| p.j.r.vermaat_at_fd.agro.nl | http://www.agro.nl/~vermaat/ |
|                           Flagellant in Dreamland                            |