Large DLT tape backup system...

From: Ed Schwab <eschwab_at_bev.net>
Date: 1996/05/30

We are in the process of evaluating DLT-based backup solutions from two vendors, EMC and Andataco. In a nutshell, our requirements include:

  • Client support for HPUX, NT and Novell
  • Integration with Oracle Enterprise Backup Mgr/Parallel Backup Mgr
    • Two databases, 250 (OLAP) and 20 (OLTP) Gb each
  • 1 - 1.5 Tb total online capacity, relatively small number of clients
  • 25-40 Gb/hour sustained throughput

We would use Legato Networker with the Andataco products:

  • Rapid-Tape 6700 (5 drive 7-cartridge DLT stacker system with a RAID controller) or
  • ACL DLT 4000 w/ 4 drives and 52 cartridge jukebox

Or EMC's pricier but beefier EDM2 E332..

I have a few questions:

  • Having purchased a very large drive from EMC, we are impressed with their support.. For those of you who have dealt with Andataco, what is your impression of the company and how seamless is the integration between their support channels?
  • Can anyone with firsthand experience using the EDM machine give your overall impression of the product? Is the added complexity well managed/designed? Given the necessary hardware (dedicated FDDI, multiple f/w SCSI adapters) are the performance claims accurate?
  • Are there other strongly recommended backup solutions that we should consider?

Thanks,

  • Ed Schwab eschwab_at_giv.com