Re: Using OPS$ for local login

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/30

Sean Garagan (garagan_at_ug.cs.dal.ca) wrote: [...]
>We are trying to develop an application that logs into Oracle
>securely by using the OPS$ protocol. All of the Oracle manuals
>point to this being only for a networked database. The application
>is local to the database so there is no reason to run SQL*Net.
>Is there any way to use OPS$ without going through a network
>protocol, or should we look into another way to access the
>database?
>The system is Oracle 7.1.4 on SVR4.

Actually you have this somewhat backwards. OS-authenticated logons (aka "OPS$ logons") were originally designed for local (non-SQL*Net) connections. Using them over SQL*Net is not advisable unless you have additional software (e.g. Secure Network Services).

By the way, I recommend using a null character string for the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX rather than "OPS$", which is a carryover from Oracle V5 days. Then your Oracle userids and OS userids are identical.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.