Re: DBA-Certification

From: Jerry Sy <syjerry_at_netgate.net>
Date: 1996/05/30

Experience is important in getting a job, but is by no means should be the only factor a company looks for in hiring a person.

From what I see, it is people who probably will not pass the test when challenged to take it who undermines the importance of the certification test. I have seen many cases, of people who have a gazillion years experience in VB (or any microsoft software) who took the VB cert exam and failed, and some even failed after taking it several times. I am sure it is the same with Oracle or Novell or Powerbuilder, etc.

I'd hire a talented person over an experienced person anytime, because you don't have to have done it before in order to do a job, all you need is the basics, and a good problem solving mind. Having a certification means you understand the basics.  I remember my former boss from years back saying (which I think  is too radical) "experience is for the intellectually challenged".