Re: DBA-Certification

From: Cam White <info_at_revealnet.com>
Date: 1996/05/30

>Here here! This DBA certification will become just like a Novell CNE.
>When you're hiring a DBA you want experience, not the ability to
>pass some test. Those of us with more than 5 years experience as a DBA
>will get more than a little chuckle about all the "certified" DBAs
>out there. Although there are people out there who will tell you that
>I am completely certifiable.
>--
> Bob Manieri, Database Administrator, Ford Electronics, Lansdale, PA
> SELECT 'These are my opinions and not those of my employer.'
> FROM SYSTEM.DUAL WHERE DISCLAIMER = 'YES' ;

The DBA Certification exam is designed to measure your "in-the-trenches" applied Oracle experience - and not just general Oracle knowledge.

The exam covers many real-world problem solving scenarios that can't be covered on a "cheat-sheet". To answer these questions within the allotted time to take the test, experience must come into play. The relatively high failure rate helps validate that those who pass the exam know what they're doing. In my view, the DBA certification exam doesn't measure knowledge as much as it measures experience. Therefore, it should be taken seriously.

Cam White
RevealNet, Inc. Received on Thu May 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message