Re: Large Backups...

From: Strategic Data Systems <sds_at_dataplusnet.com>
Date: 1996/05/30

In article <31ab1a0b.2422455787_at_mercury.hsi.com>, marksc_at_wpmail.code3.com` says...

>lpf1_at_ahs.aberdeen.k12.ms.us (Larry Flippo) wrote:
>> I currently have a 10+ GB Oracle database running on a 4-processor
>> RS/6000 with a auto-loading tape. A complete system backup from AIX
>> takes almost 8 hours.... Is this normal? It seems long to me, but I
>> have no experience with backups this large...
>
>I'd be interesting in a general discussion of this topic as well.
>
>We have Oracle databases ranging in size from ~2Gb to ~250Gb, and in the latter
>case we're experiencing growth on the order of ~100Gb per year. Our data is
>non-purgable and non-prunable (patient health/care information), so the numbers
>will continue to mount forever. We're currently moving to Oracle 7.3.

I have heard of 'ORABACKUP' that is supposed to work with the major backup management systems(IBM ADSM and Legato comes to mind) to provide a 24X7X52 environment. I assume ORABACKUP coordinates the Oracle hot backups with the tape system.

Haven't used it though. Received on Thu May 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message