Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Jon Kotas <jfkotas_at_rocket.rdyne.rockwell.com>
Date: 1996/05/30

Konstantin Ginzburg wrote:

> Unfortunately, I've never seen any articles or white papers,
> that would objectively compare RDBMS vendors (and specifically,
> Oracle and Sybase) - if anybody could point me out at something
> like this, I would greatly appreciate it. In fact, I turned to
> this and other news groups, hoping to find some related
> information. So far, I saw quite a few questions and nothing
> that you can consider a detailed answer. I thought, I'd type
> up the summary of my impression on this subject and let people
> comment on it.
>
> I'm very interested in any criticism, comments, and personal
> opinions, that other people may have. If it's not too much
> trouble, please email me directly at
> konstantin.ginzburg_at_connects.com as well as posting to the
> newsgroup.

Konstantin,

For an incredibly detailed technical comparison between a variety of RDBMSs, check out PC Magazine, October 11, 1994, "The Great Leap Forward".

They performed the following performance tests:

Random Write Transaction Mix
Single Random Read
Random Read Transaction Mix
Blob Retrieval
Ad Hoc Query
Load and Index
Export

on:

Oracle7 Server for Netware v7.0.16
SQL Server for Windows NT v4.21
Informix OnLine for SCO Unix v5.01
Sybase SQL Server for Netware v10.1
Watcom SQL Network Server for Netware v3.2 XDB Enterprise Server 4

The bottomline conclusion:

PC Magazine's Editors' Choice: Oracle7, of course!

BTW, I received a copy of this article from Oracle at one of their marketing spin parties last year.

jon Received on Thu May 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message