Re: I am looking for a stand-alone Aplication Development Tool?

From: Gene Harris <tetron_at_telepath.com>
Date: 1996/05/29

Mirwais Qader wrote:

> I am in the process of evaluating some tools that may
> be used for cross-platform application development.
>
> I need something that is FAST, EASY to TEACH and LEARN
> in a reasonably (1-2 months) quick amount of time, and be
> able to create stand-alone database applications for
> Windows and possibly Macs.
>
> The application would be used to teach students at the
> university level in client-server application development.
> It will also be used for consulting work.
>
> I am currently considering the following tools:
>
> 1) PowerBuilder
>
> Problems: does not create compiled code.
> may be too complex to learn in
> a semester's time.
>
> 2) Delphi
>
> Problem: can't predict Borland's survival
>
> 3) Visual Basic
>
> 4) Plain old C++
>
> Problem: probably not a good way to teach
> students about client-server
> programming.
>
> I am leaning towards Delphi right now.
>
> Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated!
> Mir.

I have found Oracle Power Objects to be a reasonable development package. Runs on Mac and PC, standalone and client server versions AND compiles to an exe file. (Note: it's still interpreted, kind of like FOX, but at least distribution is simple.) Performance is OK for standalone version, pretty hot for client server edition with back end Oracle or SQL server.

Gene

Tetron Software, LLC       mailto:tetron_at_telepath.com
120 N Bryant Ste A-5       mailto:72067.321_at_compuserve.com
Edmond, OK 73034           http://www.telepath.com/tetron
405-359-0345 (Voice)       CompuServe: 72067,321
405-330-3478 (FAX)         Home of TeamAccess Version Control