xlc_r question for AIX 4.1.4

From: mmissire <mmissire_at_visigenic.com>
Date: 1996/05/29

Hi,

An OCI project I am working on (a shared library) core dumped regularly. This was on AIX 4.1.4, using the Oracle RDBMS 7.2.2.3 bundle. The following fix from Oracle took care of my problem:

# Bug343993
# CDEMO1 CORE DUMPS WHEN USING THE SHARED LIBRARY LIBRARY LIBCLNTSH.A
# RDBMS Version: 7.2.2.3
# File: oraxlc
# Procedure:
# 1. set environment ORACLE_HOME
# 2. run this README script.

#

# Note:
# IBM has documents that mention the customer should use xlc_r to
# link any executable that uses re-entrant code like shared library
# if they are using AIX 4.1.X.
# We modified our oraxlc so that it could use xlc_r to compile and
# link user programs. The environment variable ORACCENV can be set
# to 'cc=xlc_r' to tell oraxlc to use xlc_r to link. But the default
# is still xlc.

However, I am unclear on WHY this is necessary in the first place. The man page for xlc_r doesn't say why you would use it, and I don't have access to the AIX C Language Reference or other compiler docs. Can anyone explain why one needs to use xlc_r? Should one use it for all shared libraries?

Thanks,

Marc Missire
mmissire_at_visigenic.com Received on Wed May 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message