The black art of SQL*Net

From: Jim Richards <jimr_at_aone.net.au>
Date: 1996/05/29

After having a look through this news group I find there are two types of people.

  1. Those who know how to set up and start the tns listener.
  2. And those who don't ...

I an in the second category. I have a solaris box, oracle 7.3.2 and a win95 box. I have sql*net v2 ... all the files appear correct, and look nice.

Does anyone have any of the "ah ha" experiences in getting it going that they would like to share?

As far as I get when in developer/2000 I enter the connect string of devl (the instance name, or SID for the purists) I get the two errors PDE-PUP004 which means oracle7 had an error and ORA-12154 and if I use the connect string of t:bismark:devl i get the same pup error but ORA-6105. Now because I have the documentation on CD I cannot seem to find the error messages.

Any ideas?

--
"Strive to be the Spock of Programming. Accept only what is logical.
Reject that which has no explanation."