Re: connect internal asking for password: WHY?

From: Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: 1996/05/28

Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

>In article <4o3m1o$8b2_at_red.interact.net.au> grant_at_towersoft.com.au (Fuzzy) writes:

>>From: grant_at_towersoft.com.au (Fuzzy)
>>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>>Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 05:51:42 GMT
>>
>>robertp_at_crux.csis.dit.csiro.au (Robert Andrew Power) wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in svrmgrl, trying to shut the database down:

>>> SVRMGR> connect internal
>>> Password:

>>>Password????
>>>Since when do I need a password for internal?

>>>Any ideas?
>>
>>At least two possibilities.
>>
>>1) INTERNAL was given a password when Oracle was installed.
>>
>>2) There is no password, and you just need to press enter!
>>
>#2 won't ever happen, because Oracle only prompts for a password when one is
>required.

>My guess is that a protocol other than the default is being used. Make sure
>that TWO_TASK is not set in the environment.

> Thanks,
> Rick
> Rick Wessman
> Security Products
> Network and Management Products
> Oracle Corporation
> rwessman_at_us.oracle.com

>--

Teach me to send replies in my sleep. I read SVRMGR to be SQLDBA! So Dennis is correct. As for Rick suggesting Oracle never asks for a password if one is not required, try openning the connect dialog in SQLDBA. Lo and behold, a username and a password field! It has no way of knowing whether or not the username has a password. :-) :-) :-)

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Grant Allen                    | "Woo Hoo!"
grant_at_towersoft.com.au         | H. Simpson
The contents of this post are my opinions only.
      If swallowed, seek medical advice.