Re: Size of temporary segment extents

From: Chris Blais <cblais>
Date: 1996/05/28

Keith Davies wrote:

There are conflicting recommendations in Oracle's manuals regarding the sizing of the default storage parameters for temporary tablespaces:
(1) INITIAL = ks + b; NEXT = ks
or
(2) INITIAL = ks + b; NEXT = INITIAL
Where k is an integer (1-20?)

      s is the sort_area_size
      b is the db_block_size

Which one should I use?

The following information is for environments with 100 to 400 users and is always site specific.
I've created temp. tablespaces between 200 - 400 MB with good success. If you're running Oracle Financials (9.4, 10.4 or 10.6)remember to use a temp tablespace for gl (100 MB) and possibly others again depending on usage. I'm currently also using one temp. tablespace (200 MB) for MFG product group. Both use initial and next extent default values. Also additional temporary tablepaces are needed during DB, and especially Financials/ MFG installation/creation.

Please remember that Temporary tablespace sizing is application, user and data usage (# of sorts, long queries, usage of group by's etc...) specific.
To see what you actually need perform regular monitoring of the temporary tablespace at peak times. Look at free space and contiguous blocks.
(Note:Automatic coalescing of non-contiguous space in 7.1 does NOT work.)

Kevin Loney's book ORACLE DBA Handbook is a clear and concise resource. If you need more detail please email me. cblais_at_therobbinsco.com
Chris Blais
DBA Received on Tue May 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message