Re: Large Backups...

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_ni.net>
Date: 1996/05/28

Mark A. Scarton wrote:

> lpf1_at_ahs.aberdeen.k12.ms.us (Larry Flippo) wrote:
> > I currently have a 10+ GB Oracle database running on a 4-processor
> > RS/6000 with a auto-loading tape. A complete system backup from AIX
> > takes almost 8 hours.... Is this normal? It seems long to me, but I
> > have no experience with backups this large...

Larry - 10GB is small.

> I'd be interesting in a general discussion of this topic as well.
>
> [ middle removed ]
>
> So, how DO we backup these puppies in a 24/7/52 environment? BTW: We've been
> specifically directed that the system can never be shutdown for any reason.
>
> My gut is beginning to tell me that the notion of full backup, restoration
> image, etc. has become obsolete. Tumms, anyone? What are the alternatives?

Your solution lies in several different areas. You have probably heard of tripple mirrors. On systems where it is cost effective, tripple mirror the Oracle data partitions, break the mirrors and back these up to tape. Later, sync the mirrors back on-line.

Another solution is to back up to disk vs directly to tape. Here, you need to find out what is economical and benificial in the PRICE FOR FASTER OFF-LINE MEDIA vs. DISK SPACE. This also comes into play with the scenario above.

The third option is a good tape management system. StorageTek, Spectra Logic, CA-UNICENTER and a number of Enterprise Console style solutions provide good tape management. The trick is, you DO NOT HAVE TO BACK EVERYTHING UP IN ONE DAY. Use your tape management system to break your file systems, partitions and disk layouts into logical volumes. (Kinda like what Volume Manager is to the SSA) Through tape management, rotate your retention policies on partitions between fulls, incrementals or skip. The downside to this scenario is you need to have a good handle on your archive logs. Depending on your MTTR options, this may not be a solution due to the size of your archived redo logs.

A fourth option includes specialized hardware and software. These solutions sometime lack in tape management and will only allow you to recover the entire system.

And of course, when all else fails, go talk to the big boyz and pay big bucks.

--
Neil Greene
Sr. Oracle DBA / Unix Administrator