Re: Stored Procedures / Oracle / ODBC

From: Chee Choon Cheng <ccchee_at_meadow.pl.my>
Date: 1996/05/27

Todd Bleeker <todd_bleeker_at_ccmail.fingerhut.com> wrote:

>I believe that this is where Oracle and SQL*Server are very different.
>Oracle cannot return a rs from within a stored procedure like SQL*Server
>can. Oracle stored procedures are self contained and would typically be
>used to accomplish action tasks. The select statement would have to be
>coded in VB and the rs opened after the stored procedure completed.
>Frustrating, isn't it.

Is this difference in capability important for VB developers? If it is, isn't it unreasonable for a solid DBMS like Oracle to lack this capability?

I am quite new to ODBC and RDO. 8-)

Chee Choon Cheng
from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
e-mail : ccchee_at_meadow.pl.my (until Sept 96) Homepage: http://www.webmedia.com.my/~chee (moving soon!)