Re: OPO: pop-up list as Master, repeater display as detail

From: Eric Therrien <ericth_at_montrealnet.ca>
Date: 1996/05/26

In article <31A63917.7ADE_at_engin.umich.edu>, Megahwati Widaja <minsq_at_engin.umich.edu> wrote:

> << OBJECTIVE >>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 1. Able to use pop-up list or combo-box to display the Master value and
> the Repeater Display to display the details.
> 2. Double-Clicking on one of the details will open another form.

[SNIP all the errors and great description by the way...]

Well, the problem her, is that your popup is linked directly with a record field (i.e. the DataSource), so that when you try to change it, to see some other details, you'r actually changing the value in the master instead. That, off coarse, is not alowed, since that you've asked not to have duplicate primary key (PK) (witch is wise and by the way that's sure it's goiing to be a duplicate PK, since all the available entry in the popup are all the other PK)

If you'r not goiing to actually change or add any value in that popup, you should use a local field; that way you would not have the problem you'r having (so just un-bind your DataSource).

Now that that is done, is there goiing to be any other probleme... Probably should make sure your new popup is initialise with something (like the first value in your master table, or something other, depending on how (or by whom) it's called) in the OnLoad method for the popup).

Also, I'm not sure if it will be possible to automaticaly link your detail display with a field that is not bind to a DataSource. If that's a problem, you could alway modify the popup.PostChange() method to force a Query on your detail display. And also make sure it's properly initilaize...

Well, I guess it is... Any other problem just eMail me...

  Eric Therrien                       Internet: ericth_at_montrealnet.ca
  Club Informatique Longueuil: http://www.connectmmic.net/users/cil
  Président du Club Informatique longueuil inc           Montreal, PQ