Re: Stored Procedures / Oracle / ODBC

From: Paul Chow <pschow_at_compusmart.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/05/25

Todd Bleeker <todd_bleeker_at_ccmail.fingerhut.com> wrote:
>I believe that this is where Oracle and SQL*Server are very different.
>Oracle cannot return a rs from within a stored procedure like SQL*Server
>can. Oracle stored procedures are self contained and would typically be
>used to accomplish action tasks. The select statement would have to be
>coded in VB and the rs opened after the stored procedure completed.
>Frustrating, isn't it.
>
>So you have yourself both an ODBC limitation and an Oracle stored procedure
>limitation.

todd:

you're right in that oracle7 and sql server differ in how each return rows. in sql server you can do something like:

    select * from employers where name like 'A*'

your calling rs will then be populated with all records that match.

on the other hand, a stored procedure in oracle written with pl/sql can return only one row (ie. select max(*) ...). anymore you'll need to write a cursor. but ... i have yet to figure out how to get the cursor to populate the calling rs ...

-paul- Received on Sat May 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message