Re: Transferring Access data to Oracle

From: Srinivasa Kunamneni <eleeb02_at_menudo.uh.edu>
Date: 1996/05/25

-> The best method is drop the table and recreate it again and load

    the data.
    ( It take less time to drop table than deleting all the rows).

    You can use TRUNCATE command ( Version 7.0), which will     drop and recreates the table.
    ( Start with proper initial extent to eliminate fragmentation       during table creation).

I hope this info may be helpful.

Srini Kunamneni

Moorthy N. Rekapalli (moorthy_at_atl.mindspring.com) wrote:
: Hello There,

: I need to transfer Microsoft Access data to Oracle. I am
: thinking of exporting Access tables to a flat file and then using
: Oracle's SQL*Loader.

: Access -> Export to flat file -> SQL*Loader -> Oracle.

: In the mean time, people will add more data to Access. I am thinking
: of transferring data at regular intervals like once in a week. To do
: this, first I have to delete all the existing data in Oracle tables.
: I would like to know:

: 1) Are there any better ways of doing this.

: 2) Will there be any problems by deleting all the data from Oracle and

: 3) I am also thinking of dropping the Oracle tables and recreating
: them before loading data. Will this cause fragmentation or any other
: problems.

: THANKS very much.

: Moorthy
: (moorthy_at_mindspring.com)