Reports 2.5 Validation Trigger is quiet

From: Kirill Richine <kirill_at_cs.ualberta.ca>
Date: 1996/05/25

Hi!

For one of the user parameters, I have created a runtime validation trigger that returns false if a certain condition holds.

If I run my report out of either Reports 2.5 Designer or Reports Runtime, then this validation trigger, if the above condition holds, produces a message window with REP-0546: Invalid parameter input. and does not even attempt to run the report. This is excellent.

However, when I run this report out of Forms 4.5 Runtime (via RUN_PRODUCT) then this validation trigger is quiet. It still does not allow me to run the report with invalid parameters but it does not produce any messages, just sits there with no action.

Here is the version of Command Text responsible for calling Reports out of one of the menu items:

Run_Product(REPORTS, 'nnnn', SYNCHRONOUS, RUNTIME, FILESYSTEM, NULL, NULL); I also tried setting the mode to ASYNCHRONOUS but no difference.

I tried adding my own srw.message to the validation trigger but it does not show up either (the trigger itself still works though). It shows up when I run the report out of Report Designer or Report Runtime, but not out of Forms (see above).

Below is the version of my validation trigger (with the above srw.message)

function P_PARAM2ValidTrigger return boolean is begin
  if (:P_PARAM2) > (:P_PARAM1) then
    return (TRUE);
  else
    srw.message(0000,'PARAM2 must be greater than PARAM1');     return (FALSE);
  end if;
end;

Can somebody try something like this on their system -- I am not sure why it does not work when invoked out of Forms 4.5? Or maybe somebody will know why it's not supposed to work this way?

Thank you.
k& Received on Sat May 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message