Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Lawrence V. Rohrer <lrohrer_at_lsquared.com>
Date: 1996/05/25

Ayoub Raffoul wrote:

> Can you please tell me what are the major differences between Sybase and
> Oracle? We are a medium sized enterprise trying to select a database
> Engine. What should we be looking for ?
>
> I appreciate all your help
>
> Thank you
> araffoul_at_pipsc.ca

Oracle!

See my write up of MY benchmarks comparing the two...

http://home.earthlink.net/~lrohrer/Sybase_vs_Oracle.html

Basically (using an older version of Sybase 4.9.2) Oracle was five times faster than Sybase. Further Oracle was making good use of additional processors and could use faster IO. The Sybase system was not I/O bound, was not memory bound and was not CPU bound -- so what was the problem? *CONTENTION*. In this system there are a lot of queries and updates against one primary table. When one user updates a record, an index is usually updated. As Sybase attempts to update the index the whole table is locked... At least this is what we were able to surmise.

It is not a row level locking vs page level locking problem. From the the best info I have version 10 could be 10-30% faster. I don't know about System 11.

--
Lawrence V. Rohrer
1500 Adams #105

lrohrer_at_lsquared.com