Re: Using stored function in SELECT statement

From: Alexander Filonov <afilonov_at_empros.com>
Date: 1996/05/24

Victor Z. Krokhmal wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am having difficulty in using stored function in SELECT statement.
> And next example returns error :
> ORA-06571 "Function does not guarantee to not update database".
>
> SELECT var1 FROM tab1
> WHERE Func1(var2)=0;
>
> Therefore, could anyone out there help me to solve this problem.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> ---
> €Š Victor Z. Krokhmal Š email: victor_at_dwayne.freenet.kiev.ua Š€
> Š Oracle Database Administrator Š phone: +7 (044) 212-54-81 /faxmodem/ Š
> ‚Š State Tax Inspectorate - Ukraine Š Š‚

Hi Victor,

Really this is a very simple question. Each function you want to use in the SQL-statements (not only in select) should not change anything in the database. Usually you can just set
PRAGMA ......
in the head of the function (look for details into "Oracle 7.1 server addendum"). But the real problem emerge when you are trying to use some standard packages in your function. In this case all stored procedures  and functions called from your function should have this PRAGMA phrase, but sometimes it's impossible. This is a restriction.

Alexander Filonov,
Mosakin corp. (former Oracle Moscow hotline), email afilonov_at_empros.com

      afilonov_at_mosakin.com

All above opinions are my own and not necessarily of my employer. Received on Fri May 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message