Re: Oracle Designer 2000: User experiences

From: <John>
Date: 1996/05/24

gkh_at_alpha.terranet.co.za (Gerhard Kleynhans) wrote:

>I have been assigned the task to identify a CASE tool that will
>fulfill the requirements of a database application development project
>being undertaken in my company.

>One tool that may meet our requirements wrt logical and physical data
>modelling, is Oracle Designer 2000. Other options are Sterling's KEY
>and Powersoft's S-Designor.

>A presentation on Designer 2000 that I attended and demo software that
>I looked at impressed me. However, I have not had the opportunity to
>talk to people that are actually using Designer 2000.

>Any views on the merit of Designer 2000?

>Gerhard Kleynhans

>email: gkh_at_alpha.terranet.co.za

I have successfully used Designer/2000 to design and implement an Oracle databaes for a Data Warehouse/Decision Support system. We started with version 6.0.5 and finished with version 1.2. During the 8 months of work the product improved and went from crashing WNT approximately 4 - 5 times / hour to only crashing 4 - 5 times per day. It USUALLY worked moderately well, but periodically gave unexpected errors and Oracle Support, of course, was frequently less than useful at getting them resolved.

I have been through ALL the Designer training and have the Master's certificates, but even so, this is not an easy, intuitive, absolutely rock-solid tool. I used it, and I recommend it, but it is not perfect. Be prepared to experience a significant learning curve, and problems along the way. Received on Fri May 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message