Re: Auto startup of Workgroup server on NT

From: Chandra Chakicherla <compros_at_erols.com>
Date: 1996/05/23

Paul, I posted this response some time ago, if it is of any use...There may be other methods for 7.2 beyond...

Here is what ORACLE recommends using ORACLE Instance Manager in background and WIN NT Registry.

Setup a file (call it c:\ora-dba\oracle\startup.cmd ) Add the following line to it.
 c:\orant\bin\oradim71 -startup -sid DFP1 -usrpwd xxxxxx -starttype

          srvc,inst
(where DFP1 is the instance to be started and xxxxx - password for
internal)
save the file.

Then go to REGISTRY
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
WINDOWS NT
CurrentVersion
WINLOGON For SYSTEM value concatenate C:\ORA-DBA\ORACLE\STARTUP.CMD

You are all set.

gallagher.paul.p_at_bhp.com.au (Paul Gallagher) wrote:

>I'm looking for recommendations or ideas on the best way
>to engineer the automatic startup of our Oracle Workgroup
>server on an NT box.

>Ideally, I want it to come up unattended as soon as the system
>has started (after a power failure for example, or remote reboot).

>Ideas so far:
>(1) There's a way of running NT apps as a service. We could hook in a routine
>which does the startup. Could be a problem sequencing the startup with
>the Oracle services though.
>(2) As part of our daily batch processes, run routine that brings Oracle up
>if necessary. Obviously, the server could be down for most of the day though.

>These are pretty crappy solutions. Have I missed something? What would
>you suggest?

>Regards,
>Paul Gallagher
> Paul Gallagher <gallagher.paul.p_at_bhp.com.au>
> Management Information Officer - BHP Research
> PO Box 202 Port Kembla NSW 2505
> Tel: +61 (42) 52-3205 Fax: +61 (42) 52-3120
> Standard disclaimer: these are personal opinions.
> "Don't confuse standards with uniformity. An individual user
> wants a uniform interface, but not all users want the same
> interface" - Kirstie Bellman, ARPA, AAAI-94 talk

Chandra Chakicherla
Database Consultant
compros_at_erols.com Received on Thu May 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message