Re: character set problems

From: Alexander Filonov <afilonov_at_empros.com>
Date: 1996/05/23

ouuo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In a project I'm in we were confronted with database with US7ASCII
> character set. We have some applications that will work on that
> database but it must support Portuguese characters. Right now the
> only way we have found to achieve it was to define a client side
> character set HE8DEC. The problem is that this character set wil
> require the manual change of more than 2000 forms/reports v4.5 :(
> which were compiled with WE8ISO8859P1.
>
> Does anyone knows a way to circunvent this ? A full database export
> is not a solution. Is there a character set that is compatible with
> a US7ASCII database and client side forms with WE8ISO ? I've also
> looked ( not deeply ) at Translation Manager from oracle but it
> seems to be too buggy ( VALUE_ERRORS !?!?!, how is this possible
> Oracle ??? ).
>
> I'll appreciate any hints. Post or reply directly.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Jorge Agra

I think the best way for you is to change codeset in the database. You can set it to WE8ISO8859P1 and have the same codesets both on server and client sides. There are two ways to change database codeset, official and non-officia. The official one is: export your database, drop it, recreate with another codeset and import (pretty long, yeah?). But there is non-official way: just change codeset definition in the database. Steps:
1. Backup your database (just for case). 2. If you have server v7.2 and above, be sure database was created with properly set environment, look at it in the instalation guide. If not, you should use official way.
3. Start sqlplus, connect as SYS and make sure you are only user connected to database.
4. Run statement:

update props$ set value$ = 'WE8ISO8859P1';

5. Restart database.

Be careful, if you'll make a mistake in the codeset name or if your database was created with wrong environment, database won't start after these changes.

Alexander Filonov,
Mosakin corp.,
email afilonov_at_empros.com

      afilonov_at_mosakin.com

All above opinions are my own and not necessarily of my employer. Received on Thu May 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message