Re: Querying DES2K Repository from SQL*Plus ???

From: <sbd_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1996/05/22

> "Dr. Richard G. Ramirez" <ou79138_at_deere.com> writes:
> I hope this is a stupid question and everybody
> knows the answer.
>
> We want to query the DES2K Repository directly to
> obtain the description of tables, columns, indexes,
> and some coded values.
>
> The goal is to create text files that we can
> process with Perl (or other) to create HTML
> pages that everybody can see without DES2K.
>
> Better yet, we could like to allow users to query
> the repository using Web pages.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Richard

Richard,

There should have been a couple of Entity Relationship Diagrams (on legal size, or 11x14 sheets) included with your hardcopy documentation on Designer/2000. These diagrams show the structure of the Designer/2000 repository.

To learn more about the available tables and views, click on Designer/2000 help, go near the bottom of the screen, and click on 'Repository Application Programmatic Interface'. This should give you an introduction to the naming standards for tables and views in the repository (i.e. ci_columns, ci_application_systems, etc).

If you're just querying the repository, then straight 'SELECT * FROM ...' commands are okay, but if you plan to insert, update, delete, then you should (actually, *must* is more accurate) use the API that came with the tool. This is a set of PL/SQL packages that can access the repository tables, and ensure that you don't accidentally corrupt the repository with inapproprate create/update/delete commands.

Good luck,

Gary Wong
Systems By Design Inc.
Victoria, BC Canada