Re: Multimedia and Oracle

From: aurona gerber <agerber_at_csir.co.za>
Date: 1996/05/22

Michael Pantaleano wrote:

> aurona gerber wrote:
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance, but how do one actually get multi-media files
> > (bmp,gif etc) in a Oracle database?
>
> You can store those types of files into LONG RAW fields in an Oracle
> table. If you are using Dev/2000 you can access the local image files
> using READ_IMAGE_FILE (and WRITE_IMAGE_FILE) built in(s).
> --
> Michael J. Pantaleano <mike.pantaleano_at_ab.com>
> Senior Analyst, Software Applications
> Allen-Bradley, a Rockwell International Company
> The opinions expressed above are not that of the people who pay me.

Thanks, I have a table with LONG RAW, but how do I get data into a LONG RAW. I do not have Dev/2000. It seems the only way is through Pro*C or a similar environment. But even worse, I have to replicate the MM which seems an impossible task since replication cannot be done on a LONG RAW and PL/SQL cannot work with variables bigger than 32K. Useless!

Does anybody have a solution to this? My Oracle tech support just pulls up shoulders and say 'not possible'! I would appreciate any help.

Thanx
Aurona Gerber Received on Wed May 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message