Re: Bad Blocks ORA_01578

From: Gonzalo Gili I <g-gili_at_mailnet.rdc.cl>
Date: 1996/05/22

Eric Evans wrote:

> Nina Boss <nina.boss_at_ccmail.adp.wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> >We gave two Oracle servers. Version 7.1.6 and Version 7.2.2.4., on an RS/6000
> >with AIX v4.2. The disks are FWD by Seagate. We use the servers mainly in
> >client/server mode. With tools ranging from BRIO query to Oracle Card. Both
> >servers are mainly datawarehouse applications.

> >Our problem, we have gotten Oracle BAD BLOCK erros over and over again. We move the
> >tables and indexes all over the disks (each server has 12 of them), and drop and
> >recreate them in many different tablespaces. STill we get these errors.

> >The kicker is, many times the file number and block number reported doesn't have a
> >bad block. We know because we use Oracle's method for scanning a block by it's HEX
> >record id.

> >Does anyone else see this problem? ORACLE Support people seem as baffled as we are.

> >Thanks for any help!

> >Nina Boss
> >University of Wisconsin-Madison
>
> Nina:
>
> See if you have the init.ora paramater set for using async_io to true.
> I seem to remeber a AIX bug on async I/O. If unsetting it works for
> you I would contact AIX for the PTF .

Nina
I've had the bad block problem, but talking to Oracle Support they told me that it was a version problem (I was on v 7.0.16 at the time), since then, with v 7.1.6 I've had no problems. I'm on a Data General platform.

Gonzalo Received on Wed May 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message