Re: Fetch cpu intensive

From: Charlie Peck <charliep_at_infocom.com>
Date: 1996/05/21

In article <4nprka$4ba_at_svdns1.ubinet.ubs.com>, Kelvin.stingel_at_ubs.com.ch wrote:

> I have an explicit cursor declared which fetches about 200,000
> records.
> It writes these records to a logfile and does no row processing or
> calculations.
> Monitoring the system it shows the program is very cpu intensive.
>
> Are there any Oracle ini parameters I can increase to help this
> program along?
>
> is it normal for code to be cpu intensive when fetchng?

If you are not using an array fetch mechanism it is normal for it to be CPU intensive. Code the arrays so it's easy to change their size; depending on the width (number of bytes) of each row you will probably achieve a reasonable balance between CPU and I/O at about 100 rows per fetch. This also depends on the blocksize of the database and the phase of the moon ;)

charlie peck Received on Tue May 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message