Oracle Reports 2.5 - User Parameter problem

From: Fridrik Asmundsson <fridrik_at_ejs.is>
Date: 1996/05/21

I've got a problem in Oracle Reports 2.5.4.0.8

I have two 'User Parameters'.
How can I make the second parameter depend on the first one.

I want to use the first parameter (Hierarchy_Level) to control the select statement used for the LOV of the second parameter (Unit_List).

I have tried to use lexical reference, but it doesn't work.

When I try to reference the first parameter (Hierarchy_Level) in the select statement for the second parameter, I get an error message: 'REP-0496: Internal Error - Unable to parse the query.'

I have tried the select statement in SQL Plus and it works fine there.

The select statement for the LOV of the second parameter is:

 SELECT RETAIL_UNIT
   FROM RETAIL_UNIT_LIST
  WHERE Level = DECODE (&Hierarchy_Level, 'STORE', 0, 'AREA', 2, 'DISTRICT', 3, 'COMPANY' , 5)
    AND Level_Type = DECODE (&Hierarchy_Level, 'STORE', '2', 'AREA', '1', 'DISTRICT', '1', 'COMPANY' , '1'); The only solution I can think of now is to use temporary table which I can populate by using validation_trigger of the first parameter, and then use that table in the select of the second parameter.

This should work (I haven't tried it yet) but I thought 'there must be more elegant and easier way to do this'.

Is there anyone here that has had the same problem and solved it by any other means ?

Any help much appreciated.

Fridrik Asmundsson
fridrik_at_ejs.is Received on Tue May 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message