Re: ODBC & VB & Stored Procedures

From: Mark Edwards <100325.223_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1996/05/20

Vincent Wouters wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to work with Stored Procedures
> in a VB4.0/32 environment, working wit Data Access Object.
>
> I'm using a statement like:
> BEGIN
> proc_name ('inputstring',output);
> END;
>
> But Oracle has problems with the 'output' and says that
> it has to be declared. I thought the result (output) wil
> send in the RecordSet, like a normal Select procedure.
>
> Please mail any suggestions:
> v.wouters_at_fd.agro.nl

Hi Vincent.

Oracle has no way of returning data from a stored procedure via a result set. The closest it gets currently is via the PL/SQL table type, but this cannot be bound to an ODBC datatype.

I am unsure of DAO's capabilities in this area, but certainly ODBC can handle the calling of a stored procedure with output parameters. Also, you should consider using the odbc syntax for calling this stored procedure:

instead of
Begin proc_name('inputstring',output);
end;

use:

{call proc_name(?,?)}

you should be able, somehow, to bind two parameters to this sqlstatement, the first being an input string and the second being an output parameter of some sort. If not, try using RDO. OpenLink will soon have RDO cracked, and offer full performance via odbc so keep an eye on
http://www.openlinksw.com

Mark Received on Mon May 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message