Re: Listener.ora file format

From: Iain McVey <mcvey_at_mpr.ca>
Date: 1996/05/20

Binesh Bannerjee wrote:

> TNS-01151: Missing listener name, LISTENER, in LISTENER.ORA
>
> In checking the listener.ora file, I see that that listener.ora is a
> zero length file... Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a matter
> of putting in right info in the listener.ora file? If so, does anyone
> know what the right info would be? I found very few answers in the
> documentation... (I found the format of the file, but not much about
> what each entry means etc.)

If you have not yet done so, you have to run the network configuration utility. If you are using sql*net 2.2, this only comes on windows...

The utility produces two sets of the sql*net config files, server side and client side. I usually create directories under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin for each group, client and server and then create a directory $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/current and link across the valid files for that server, including listener.ora.

Then I create a soft link for each file in /etc. That way you don't have to specify extra environment variables, and the oracle owner account can change the files.

Remember if you do not use the name LISTENER for your listener, you will have to specify the name for each lsnrctl command. Also, if you specify a password, it becomes a little more difficult to use startup scripts. There is a decent section in the unix sarg for this, I believe.

Good luck,

--
- Iain -

Quae narravi, nullo modo negabo.

mcvey_at_mpr.ca      Void where prohibited by law.
                  #9 - Canadians must play in bare feet.