Re: Oracle SQL*Plus and the '&' character ...... help needed .....

From: Michael Tharp <mtharp_at_minn.net>
Date: 1996/05/19

Ian Lang <langi_at_netspace.net.au> wrote:

>Hi,
> Currently I have a table ( Oracle V7.2.3 ) that has data in a field that
>contains the '&' character. The field name is component_number and the
>data is 'F&GS '. I want to change this data to something else but each
>time I run the script is comes back and says 'Enter value for GS :' . It
>thinks that it is a variable. How do I get the script to run straight
>through and get SQL*Plus to recognise this '&' as data.?? Do I use some
>other character that oracle recognises as the & character ?. I am getting
>frustrated and would apreciate any help someone can give.

> Please reply here in this newsgroup or e-mail me directly at
>langi_at_netspace.net.au

> Thanks, Ian Lang

You can use SET DEFINE x (with "x" being some character that is not used in the data - such as the tilde ~).

You could also try SET SCAN OFF but I have had better luck sith the SET DEFINE ~ Michael Tharp

St. Paul, Minnesota USA
mtharp_at_minn.net
http://www1.minn.net/~mtharp/ Received on Sun May 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message