OPTIMIZE your queries! Please hear me out!

From: Peter Y. Hsing <hsing_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/05/19

In my five years of Oracle experience, I've found on MOST occasions, performance problems were not necessarily or only related to hardware or software configuration problems, but rather, they were due to:

  • POORLY-WRITTEN QUERIES
  • POORLY-STRUCTURED PROCEDURAL SCRIPTS (like in SQR), or
  • POOR USE (or non-use) OF INDICES.

I'D HATE TO WASTE MY FIVE YEARS OF ORACLE EXPERIENCE (I'm not returning to the field).

Granted, five years may not be a drop in the bucket compared to some of you out there, but I'm not asking for employment or a consulting contract, therefore, you have nothing to lose (expect a little time and bandwidth).

Just email me with your query/relevant info and I'll probably email you back with questions about what is indexed and table structures and we'll go from there. My email address is:

        hsing_at_ix.netcom.com

SEND ONLY THOSE QUERIES YOUR OWN PEOPLE ARE STRUGGLING WITH! I'll post any solutions to this group to spread the knowledge.

-Peter "Looking for a Challenge" Hsing

My background:
A year ago, I was a consultant with a Big Six firm using Oracle (acted as DBA, sysadm (SCO Unix), and have written thousands of reports. I've worked on small databases up to 15 million record databases (nearly 10Gb of a RAID). No experience above 15 mill though and no practical experience with client-server (our clients were strictly low-budget, so we set up SCO boxes hooked up to Digiboards and strung Wyse terminals off of them).

I have trained more than ten consultants in Oracle, SCO sysadm, and the field we were in (bankruptcy/reorganization and litigation). Received on Sun May 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message