Help with OCI obndra()

From: Julian Perry <jules_at_limitless.co.uk>
Date: 1996/05/19

I need some help with obndra().

I have some software which uses OCI with C and I'm using obndra() for defining host variables (and arrays).

The 11th parameter, maxsiz, is causing some problems when defining arrays. What is the exact meaning of the parameter and what should I put there? The manual is suitably vague and all of the examples I've seen set this parameter to some hardcoded value which does not seem to relate to either the number of elements in the array, or the size of each element!

(e.g. the example in the section on obndra() in the manual `Programmer's Guide to the Oracle Call Interface' [release 7.2] passes an array of three elements and sets maxsiz to 1200!)

My guess is that if I am declaring an array of 500 4-byte integers then I should set maxsize to 32512/4, but if I only have my host variable array declared as `int fred[500]' then surely I shouldn't set maxsiz to more than 500?

Why is this parameter needed? Surely the combination of progvl (parameter 5) and cursiz (parameter 12) makes maxsiz redundant?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jules. Received on Sun May 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message