Re: Any ORACLE 7.2.3 Install Experiences?

From: MiguelLaw <miguellaw_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/05/18

We are running Oracle 7.2.3 on a set of 4 Sequents running Dynix 2.1.5. Besides the usual trick of running oracle.install two or three times until we were sure exactly what we wanted to link, we didn't have any serious problems. We did discover that the compiled C and COBOL programs with embedded SQL became anywhere from 200 to 400% larger under the new version. Apparently 7.2.3 added NLS support and Dynix 2.1.5 doesn't allow sharing of those libraries. This caused a dramatic spike in our memory requirements. We are hopeful that Dynix 4.1 will solve this, but can not convert until all of our instances are converted off of Oracle 6, which is not certified for Dynix 4.x We have done a considerable amount of tweaking and tuning to get the executable size as small as possible, since we get 300 or 400 simultaneous users. Luckily most of them run Forms, and there is not much interactive C (thankfully, I don't think there is any interactive COBOL!).

We are getting ready to move our development system over to 7.3 and 4.1, so I could probably give you more information as it goes along. Feel free to E-mail me and I'll pass any really hard questions along to either my DBA or Sysadmin.

....mike

miguellaw_at_aol.com (HOME)
mlawrence_at_mantech.com (WORK)
lawrenma_at_deca-gw.deca.mil (CLIENT) Received on Sat May 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message